Peru (Recyclable Pods)
Medium body and pronounced winelike acidity, with hints of dark chocolate and caramelized sugar, with a sweet finish. The coffee beans are organically grown and fairly traded, and air roasted in small batches in Lancaster, Pa.
Coop: Central Fronterixa del Norte de Cafetaleros (CENFROCAFE)
Region: Jean, Cajamara, San Ignacio
Altitude: 1,000 - 1,900 M
Grade: Grade 1
Processing: Washed and Sun Dried on Patios and Raised Beds
Varietal: Typica, Castillo, Bourbon and Caturra
Peru is located in northwestern South America, right along the Pacific coast. The country is divided into three regions: costa (along the Pacific coast), sierra (the Andes Mountains), and Amazonia (the eastern portion of the country, the source of the Amazon River). These vastly different regions of the country make it difficult to travel from one region to another, but they also allow for a variety of crops, including coffee, which came to the area in the 1700s.
Our Peruvian coffee comes from the Central Fronterixa del Norte de Cafetaleros (CENFROCAFE) cooperative. This grade 1 FTO coffee includes Typica, Castillo, Bourbon, and Caturra varieties, all grown at an altitude of 1,000-1,900 feet, washed, and sundried on patios and raised beds.
Located in the Jean, Cajamara, and San Ignacio regions of northern Peru, CENFROCAFE began with 220 small-scale coffee farmers in 1999. It has now grown to more than 3,000 small farms in 84 different bases. The co-op is committed to social justice, freedom, and democracy and is always working to improve conditions for farmers, their families, and the community at large.
- The pods have a a filter that is 10 times stronger than the filters in standard pods, which allows for finer grinds and more extraction of flavor.
- The pods are designed to hold up to 40% more coffee than standard pods; the larger fill capacity means richer brews.
- The degassing seal in each pod allows for same day roast, grind, and fill freshness. You won't find a fresher pod!
The pod, including the microfilter, is made of 100% polypropylene. After use,
- Over sink or trash can, squeeze sides until lid pops open.
- Empty grounds into composting container or trash.
- Rinse pod. Remove and discard sticker. Do not detach lid.
- Place in recycling bin.
If your municipality does not recycle PP#5 plastics, stack and return clean and dry empty pods to Wanderlust Coffees. Mail them to 823 N. Duke St., Lancaster, PA 17602 (our home office), or drop them off at most Wegmans stores (verify with your local store's recycling policy first). Thank you!