Peru (Recyclable Pods)
Heavy body and medium acidity, with hints of nougat, roasted almond, sweet pastry, with a clean finish, from northeastern Peru. The coffee beans are organically grown and fairly traded, and air roasted in small batches in Lancaster, Pa.
Co-op: La Florida
Altitude: 1,200-1,600 masl
Grade: Grade 1
Processing: Fully Washed (Patio and Solar Dried)
Varietal: Bourbon, Catimor, Typica, Caturra
Peru is located in northwestern South America, right along the Pacific coast. The country is divided into three regions: costa (along the Pacific coast), sierra (the Andes Mountains), and Amazonia (the eastern portion of the country, the source of the Amazon River). These vastly different regions of the country make it difficult to travel from one region to another, but they also allow for a variety of crops, including coffee, which came to the area in the 1700s.
Located in the Chanchamayo region of northeastern Peru, the cooperative farms are small, bringing together coffee producers from 18 hamlets. It has two wet coffee processing plants in the town of La Florida and another in Eneñas, as well as a collection center in Salsipuedes. Most of the farms have Inga and other shaded native forest trees.
La Florida is a non-profit organization of small coffee growers with 821 coffee partners. All members believe that it is vital to care for and support the natural cycle of the earth that has a balanced ecosystem. Although the cooperative is certified as an organic coffee producer and Fair Trade, they are now embarking on a new adventure to apply technology in two different aspects: improving the coffee process and presenting their customers with a transparent way of seeing the product and fair payment to the producer.
- The pods have a a filter that is 10 times stronger than the filters in standard pods, which allows for finer grinds and more extraction of flavor.
- The pods are designed to hold up to 40% more coffee than standard pods; the larger fill capacity means richer brews.
- The degassing seal in each pod allows for same day roast, grind, and fill freshness. You won't find a fresher pod!
The pod, including the microfilter, is made of 100% polypropylene. After use,
- Over sink or trash can, squeeze sides until lid pops open.
- Empty grounds into composting container or trash.
- Rinse pod. Remove and discard sticker. Do not detach lid.
- Place in recycling bin.
If your municipality does not recycle PP#5 plastics, stack and return clean and dry empty pods to Wanderlust Coffees. Mail them to 823 N. Duke St., Lancaster, PA 17602 (our home office), or drop them off at most Wegmans stores (verify with your local store's recycling policy first). Thank you!